Equine Pole Workshop in Somerset
June 22 @ 9:30 am - 4:30 pm£100
This 7 hour CPD day in Somerset is provided by Rebeccah Baylis from LGS & Trudi Dempsey
This is a full theory & practical day looking at how pole work can support the ridden equine along side rehabilitation, strengthening & training.
Trudi: As a gymnastic dressage coach & behaviour consultant Trudi uses poles in a wide range of situations. Pole work supports balance, proprioception, coordination & flexibility but there is an often missed extra when pole work is trained with behaviour in mind.
Introduced carefully & systematically, pole work training creates confidence & trust in the handler/rider.
Trudi promotes the idea of horses learning to be responsible for their own balance without the need for any rope or rein pressure.
During the workshop we will look at:
• Basic learning theory for rein/rope handling skills
• How to position yourself to support your horse when working on the ground
• Simple exercises for balance
• Introducing bend & flexion
• Poles in series to benefit rhythm & regularity
• Proprioception exercises
• Pole box exercises in preparation for lateral work
From a Therapist eye we will:
· Look at In-hand exercises for developing proprioception & straightness.
· Long reining for core strength & improved flexibility.
· Ridden exercises to develop core strength & flexibility, given in walk to enable the equine therapist to provide onsite help, plus recommendations for faster paces as aftercare strengthening.
· We will specifically target muscle groups according to the needs of the horse, along with general core strengthening & postural correctness of the horse.
· The aim is to build balance, stability, enhance flexibility & coordination in the ridden equine as part of their education process. This is also valuable for re-educating post injury or for fitness training.
This course is for anyone interested in rehabilitation & training in the ridden equine.
It is possible to bring your horse as a ridden participant. Please contact the organiser.
£60 per rider/horse (spaces limited)
£100 for therapist CPD attendance